The Latest From the School of Data
Here’s the latest from this week at the School of Data.
Never miss a post: Join the School of Data announce list for this bulletin delivered directly to you in your inbox.
Data Expedition – Mapping the Garment Factories
The horrific factory collapse at Rana Plaza in Dhaka has brought the business practices of global garment brands, as well their thousands of suppliers, into the spotlight.
Starting on Thursday, and continuing for a full day on Saturday, the School of Data team led by +Anders Pedersen will be conducting a data expedition into investigating Global Garments factories.
We need storytellers, engineers, designers, data scouts and analysts all to work on getting to the bottom of what is happening in these garment factories. Sign up here: http://bit.ly/14c1WcJ
How it will work:
1. Prior to the data expedition, we’ll be working to collaboratively build a list of garment factories from around the world.
2. In advance of and during the data expedition, data wranglers from around the community will offer one-hour drop in sessions for a limited number of participants as introductions to a particular topic, such as mapping (which will be a large component here).
3. On Saturday 25th – small teams of investigators will pick a story and investigate it in a team, aiming to reach a conclusion by the end of Saturday.
More information can be found here: https://schoolofdata.org/data-expeditions/data-expedition-mapping-the-garment-factories/
Know someone from an NGO or advocacy campaign working on ethical fashion that would be interested in joining? Please put them in touch on [email protected].
Next Week – 30th May – One day Expedition on Tax Evasion
Welcome – Liliana Bounegru
The latest from the School of Data ask service
From the blog
Special thanks to John Murtagh this week who has volunteered to write the School of Data roundup posts while Neil Ashton is away. Look forward to that tomorrow!
- When A Government Minister’s Data Laundry is Hung Out to Dry…https://schoolofdata.org/2013/05/17/when-a-government-ministers-data-laundry-is-hung-out-to-dry/
- Data roundup – May 15 by Neil Ashton: https://schoolofdata.org/2013/05/15/data-roundup-may-15/