The Latest from the School of Data
A bumper edition of the Latest from School of Data!
- Data Diva Michael Bauer, and OKF’s International Community Manager Zara Rahman completed their whirlwind tour of Latin America to meet the Data Lovers of the Continent and launch the Spanish language School of Data. Read about what they got up to on the OKFN blog
Meanwhile, Lucy was at the InfoActivism camp, for an incredible week of learning about how activists use technology. There are tutorials (many, many tutorials), blog posts and writeups from the data expedition on mapping Key Points in South Africa at the camp (the first data expedition to involve real bloodshed [explanation – coming soon]) in the pipeline.
We’ll attempt to squeeze our brains dry of everything we learned and document it for you but in the meantime, follow the #ttccamp13 hashtag and Tactical Tech (@info_activism) for tips in 140 characters from brave and brilliant folks at the camp.
Hola – Escuela De Datos!
- Escuela De Datos, the Spanish language version of School of Data, launched spectacularly at AbreLatam last week Many thanks to everyone who helped it happen, especially Social TIC, the Hacks/Hackers communities in Chile and Argentina and the organisers of AbreLatam.
Since the launch – many organisations have been in touch to ask how they can also start their own version in their country. We’ll be publishing a local groups guide soon – so watch this space!
Our call for our pilot cohort of Community Mentors will stay open until Friday, then we’ll get rolling on kitting them out to ghostbust data trouble around the globe.
Haven’t had chance to sign up yet?
Here’s your opportunity.
We’re looking for a new volunteer (or a team to take it in turns) to take over the weekly Data Roundups from Neil Ashton, as he manages with small baby!. If you are interested – please let us know on schoolofdata [at] okfn.org.
A very busy week for Ask.SchoolofData.Org – here’s just a few of the questions which have been asked and need your help!
- UNANSWERED Open Refine – is there a difference between a starred and a flagged row?
- Is it possible to make interactive data visualisation using HTML5 ?
- Is there any difference between a SVG and an AI file?
Thanks to new faces Andrew Duffy, “OpenSAS” for their help both in asking and answering!
From the blog
- Data Roundup July 3
- Slaughtering People: A Multimedia Investigation into the Global Market of Meat
- Tax Avoidance and Evasion Expedition: Looking back
- Data Roundup – June 26
- Data MOOC – Findings, Results and Recommendations
- Cursive Data: Drawing by Robots.
Ciao for now!
Want to receive these updates in your inbox? Make sure you are on the School of Data Announce List.