The Latest From School of Data
Here’s the latest from around the School of Data:
Escuela de Datos
Data troopers Michael Bauer and Zara Rahman have been on the road in Latin America doing a series of great warmup events with the help of the fabulous network of Data Activists from around Latin America.
Credits: James Florio. Poderomedia
- See what they’ve been up to in the writeup the Hacks/Hackers meetup in Chile.
- Henceforth, they will be in Uruguay for the AbreLatam conference. Know someone they should meet there? Tweet @Schoolofdata – or email us on schoolofdata [at] okfn.org.
Stay up to date with School of Data Latin America
- Twitter – @Escueladedatos
- Announcement mailing list (low traffic)
- Discussion mailing list: Coming soon
We’re looking for a select handful of community mentors to take place in a pilot mentoring scheme to guide learners through future data expeditions (online or offline), and/or offer training sessions on a particular topic or tool, via Google Hangout or in person.
We will offer training, support and swag (stickers and shirts) for our pilot mentors!
The following questions are looking for answers, can you help?
- Extracting data from wikipedia tables
- Problem installing Gephi on Mac OS
- Is there any difference between a SVG and an AI file?
Offers of help
- Andy South has offered to run a course in mapping with R for NGOs who can cover his travel costs! See the course.
From the blog
- InfoAmazonia and Why We Should Talk About Geojournalism
- Data Roundup 19th June. By Neil Ashton.
- Data Explorer Mission from the Inside: an Agent’s Story – Want to know what happened on the data explorer mission? One of the participants explains what they got from the experience.
- On the Radar: Using Data to Save Lives – Invisible Children and the LRA crisis tracker. Invisible Children and the LRA crisis tracker.